HP software uses port 5814 to access the server machine so in case you’re having trouble communicating to your license server, you may need to make this port accessible. To allow inbound access to this port, you need to set up a rule allowing access to it on your Windows Firewall settings.
To do this:
- Start >> Windows Firewall with Advanced Security – a dialog will open with the list of firewall rules.
- On the left pane, click on Inbound Rules. Then click on New Rule under the Actions panel. A wizard dialog will appear.
- Input the following:
- Rule Type – Port
- Protocol – TCP
- Specific local ports: 5814
- Action – Allow the connection
- Profile – check all (Domain, Private, Public)
- Name – (any)
After finishing, you’ll be able to see the rule on the list.
To check if the port is up and running, you can run telnet on command line on a client machine, here’s the syntax:
telnet [IP address or machine name] [port]
Ex: telnet 123.456.7.8 5814
A blank screen will follow if the connection was successful.
If telnet is an unrecognized command, enable it by doing the following:
- Right-click Start button
- Open Programs and Features
- Click Turn Windows features on or off
- Scroll down and check Telnet Client